Security & Surveillance
In the last few years, we have seen an increase in the need for monitoring secure facilities, national borders, commercial transport centers and regions of mass transportation due to the threats against our country after the events of September 11, 2001. Over the same time period, imaging technology has continued to improve in quality while continuously dropping in price, making 24/7 monitoring of many commercial sites economically feasible.
While many Security and Surveillance systems today are of high quality, there are gaps in the performance of the current products that leave the monitoring equipment prone to failure or result in lapses in effective monitoring. For example, most imaging systems work optimally in bright daylight, but start to fail as the light levels get lower, as in early evening hours. One approach to mitigate this is to add accessory lighting to illuminate the targets in the field of view. This lighting requires additional power and maintenance over time, thus increasing the costs of operation of the system. Our Scientific CMOS (sCMOS) sensor technology addresses this problem by providing extremely high sensitivity to light and very low sensor noise. The result is the ability to collect usable images even through the dusk hours when most other systems fail. In addition, we have many other features that are helpful to this type of imaging as described below.
sCMOS Advantages for Security and Surveillance:
- Ultra-low readout noise to preserve weak signals
- Excellent light collection efficiency in the visible and Near Infra-red regions of the spectrum
- Standard High Definition format (1920x1080) as well as SXGA format (1280x1024)
- High Dynamic Range data to collect weak and strong signals in the same image
- Excellent anti-blooming so there is no bleed-over of bright reflections into other parts of the image
- Supra-video rate imaging capability to allow multi-frame processing for stabilization and image enhancement algorithms
- Low cost packaging for high volume, price sensitive applications
- Supports snapshot mode operation for still capture imaging
The Fairchild Imaging sCMOS Sensors offered for Security and Surveillance applications are listed below
Sensors – Scientific CMOS (sCMOS)